Monday 24 October 2011

Life Dilemma

I am facing a huge life dilemma* - where should I work part-time during the day?

Option 1: lowly barista at Starbucks, making 15 cents above minimum wage. But I get to drink all the free coffee I want while I'm on shift!

Option 2: working lunch shifts at a "high-end" Japanese restaurant downtown. Here is a link to a most hilarious review... If you don't know which one I'm referring to, then I guess you'll never know because I won't tell you since it should be obvious. OK FINE it's the one left by EricaH.

Option 3: working the front desk at the Holiday Inn! If Snoop Dogg were to pass through town, he'd chill there, right? Except that it's a Holiday Inn Express, and I think part of my job would be to drive the shuttle bus between the airport and the hotel. Fun? Embarrassing? Awesome?

Because let's be honest, I am competing against high school students for these jobs, and ain't no one going to out-compete a high school student for their job like me.

Wouldn't it be fantastical to have to wear a stiff kimono while serving? And I could go really go all out and paint my face white and draw my eyebrows in an inch above where they really are, and make my hair into the shape of a peach so that I show off the sexy back part of my neck. Because according to the creepy guy who wrote Memoirs of a Geisha, people LO-OVE them some peach neck cleavage.


*not actually a dilemma

4 comments:

  1. "I KNOW Japanese and Korean food." EricaH sounds awesome, maybe she can be your third friend in the bush. I vote Holiday Inn Express, especially if you get hotel discounts. even if you don't, maybe it'll turn out to be like Mermaid Inn on The OC where everyone goes to get pregnant or sleep with their daughter's boyfriend. you will know all the juicy SKT gossip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you mean this review?

    "There's something really awkward about White waitresses in kimonos to serve Japanese and Korean food."

    Does she feel awkward when she sees Asians in Western clothes too?

    Anyway, my vote is for Otowa (who runs the place, and is this name a variation on "Ottawa"?" Just think of the great stories you will get working at a fancy sushi restaurant in the prairies. And the shock your customers will get when you not only have a non Asian accent, but also can speak Japanese!

    Plus: tips, possible free food and booze

    And I think working at a Holiday Inn front desk would be annoying dealing with all the guests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will make the most money at Otowa due to tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except I would only be there 6-9 hours a week during lunch.

    ReplyDelete